The Internet of Things (IoT) is certainly a game changer, and this company's software turns the agricultural industry, which is in the process of a smart farming evolution, into dramatically improved farming practices. CropX, an Ag analytics innovator, unveiled its latest soil intelligence platform, a combination of cloud-based Ag analytics software and advanced soil sensor technology that delivers some industry firsts.
CropX delivers the soil intelligence farmers need to dramatically increase crop yield and reduce water, fertilization and energy costs with affordable, easy-to-use soil sensors and an intelligence platform that integrates with top irrigation systems that let farmers know if/when specific parts of a field need to be watered and how much water they need — via any smartphone, tablet or computer. Recently Beck’s Practical Farm Research (PFR)® reports found that CropX-based irrigation produced 16 percent-24 percent more yield compared to manual irrigation.
Thanks to enhancements to its Ag analytics software platform, CropX customers now also benefit from:
- A registration process that allows farmers to instantly access data from newly installed sensors without mapping a field
- The new 'Field Drawing' capability ensures the platform automatically knows important information about a newly installed sensor and the soil it is in based on USDA data, weather and calculated evapotranspiration (ET) for the specific geo-location;
- Immediate anomaly detection that alerts farmers when there might be an issue, such as unusual changes in moisture due to a pipe failure;
- Expansive insights by individual sensors, fields or zones – from current moisture to fill and drainage points;
- The integration of weather data, including three-day ET forecasts
- More control over how frequently sensors send data, and who can access data with the addition of transmission and user setting options
Jason Rodgers of Titan Farms in Ridge Spring, South Carolina stated that CropX soil moisture sensors are super easy to install compared to others in the industry. In addition, the company’s tech support has been great, and the ability to view data allows them to make decisions quickly. CropX is pioneering soil intelligence technology.
CropX now offers three versions of its unique spiral soil sensor, in which all deliver more accurate readings than traditional soil sensors by eliminating soil disruption and preventing preferential flow. Adding to the capabilities of the CropX Basic Sensor, the CropX Pro Sensor and the CropX Deep Sensor now deliver:
- Global ease of use as a result of expanded compatibility with worldwide cellular systems
- Increased sensor longevity based on the addition of a USB-compatible rechargeable battery pack
- An industry first —satellite communication capabilities
- Better cloud data connectivity via a faster, self-selecting internal modem that automatically connects the sensor to the cellular service with the most powerful signal
- The ability to measure electrical conductivity (EC) salt concentration in the soil as a first step into smart fertilization management
In addition, the CropX Deep Sensor now gives farmers an easy way to get accurate soil readings at three specific depths. In addition to the 8-inch and 18-inch measurements that are standard in all CropX sensors, the CropX Deep Sensor digs deeper into the soil to give farmers visibility into important moisture, temperature and EC measurements 36-inches underground. The CropX Deep Sensor, with the standard CropX DIY installation, is a solution for deep-rooted, permanent crops such as grapes.
CropX CEO Tomer Tzach said that farmers are facing tough business and environmental challenges, and many are overwhelmed by the amount of smart farming options now at their disposal. Unfortunately, many smart farming solutions to date have come with devastatingly high price tags and little value. CropX makes the era of connected soil a reality for farms of all sizes and budgets. Their powerful soil sensors can drive immediate value thanks to their advanced soil intelligence platform, and they aim to continue expanding the value they deliver to farmers in the years ahead.
CropX continues to accelerate its software platform and soil sensor development, while rapidly expanding its partner network and global market adoption as evidenced by its global partner pipeline that spans 15 countries with a focus on geographies that are significant agricultural exporters. The company plans to intensify its research efforts focused on soil health measurements such as carbon, micro-flora and micro-fauna, as well as fertilizer cycle measurement and crop pest outbreak prediction and control measures.